Teacher / Author / Poet / Community Activist / Motivational Speaker / Performer / Spoken Word / Hip Hop



Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Background to the Underground

In order for readers to continue to follow the content of my blogs, I felt it necessary to explain the method to my madness.  Where did it all originate? The Underground Philosophy of Education Blog is an extension of the recently published book, The Underground Philosophy ofEducation: Teaching is NOT for DummiesThe idea came from my love and involvement in performance of rap and hip hop. 

Underground Hip Hop, which is considered the opposite of mainstream popular music, has a reputation of being uncut, true to personal artistry, relatable to the streets, and relies on word of mouth. In essence, it uses a grassroots approach to popularity, which creates a stronger following.  I felt that my approach to education takes a similar platform because I started out as product of a single-parent household of eight in public housing.  I wanted to stay connected to my roots rather than take the clinical approach.  The idea manifested into a narrative nonfiction work.

The title of the book itself suggests the intricacies of education contrary to popular beliefs.  It more deeply suggests that dealing with the issues of education should not be taken lightly.  I take personal experiences from the field and express the opinions that were shared by others, even if they would not openly express them. It some instances the envelope may be pushed, but it was done so to bring into perspective issues that are so often taken lightly.

Chapter 1 of the book is an adaptation of a paper written during my collegiate years to share my formal philosophy of education.  The content may be the most difficult to digest out of all chapters of the book, but it was necessary to include it to express my core beliefs as well as to show that my thoughts and beliefs are embedded in research; not impulsive reactions to experiences.  However, I do attempt to somewhat break down the clinical language to everyday terms.

Chapters 2 – 5 are dedicated to teachers, students, parents, and the administration respectively.  The objective in these chapters is to spark a reflective response.  I am certain that the natural response to some things might be opposition. I will allow that.  However, we all know that the best way to solve a problem is to first understand the role we as individuals play in the problem.  I am a firm believer of a “People, not Programs” focus of improvement. 

Chapter 6 paints a picture of what has gone awry.  Again, the objective is cause the reader to reflect upon their role in the problem.  It moves from specific groups as shown in Chapters 2 – 5 to specific problems as compared to themes uncovered in the move The Wizard of Oz.

Chapter 7 is the conclusion of the book.  It explores what needs to happen next.  It is not meant to be a clinical cure.  The purpose is actually to bring all stakeholders to a common viewpoint of a simple solution, which also reveals the overarching point of the book:  Leaning not to your own agenda, but catering to the affairs of those who matter most—the students.

As I continue to actively serve as an educator, the blog is used to create a platform to continue conversations necessary to improve our education system.  Like the book, it exists to bring together all stakeholders to direct the main focus on the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment